Sunday, February 17, 2008

Carrot Cake

Not much done on the beadie front yesterday. I pulled stringers and made a few discs. The discs will get posted on Etsy tomorrow night. I always post something new on Monday night around 7 pm.
We went to a bridal shower last night. At the age of somewhere around 50, that doesn't happen a lot, but when it does it's fun. A friend made her punch that we call 'truth serum', and we had a great meal with lasagna and salad and garlic bread. That's one of my all time favorites. Games aren't all that fun, but the game we played was beyond funny, a sort of "newlywed game". Here we were, all us babyboomers playing this game, and just laughing like crazy.
My contribution for the evening was carrot cake. This recipe is so great and it got rave reviews.
Back in the 70's when I attended CMU, a girl I knew made this cake for something, and I was lucky enough to get her recipe. There are lots of carrot cake recipes out there, but this one, for me, is the favorite. Heavy and moist without all the extras of pineapple or raisins or whatever. Just a rich dense cake.
So, since I have no new beads or metal today, I will share this recipe. I can't remember who it is from except that she had long hair (duh..it was the 70's) and we called her Perky.

Carrot Cake

combine
2 c sugar
1 1/2 c oil
2 c flour
3 c grated carrot

add
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1 t soda
1 t salt
2 t cinnamon
4 beaten eggs

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes two 9 inch pans or equivalent

Icing
1 lb powdered sugar (I add another cup)
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 c butter or olea
1 T milk
1 t vanilla

frost the cake and then chop fine about 1/2 c walnuts and sprinkle on top of the cake

4 comments:

Fuzzy Izmit said...

Oh man, that sounds wonderful!

Chauncey said...

looks like the "long haired girl" knows carrot cake. Thanks for sharing!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Susan, that is too funny, for sure we don't get to many bridal showers any more! Your turquoise swirl piece that is in your Etsy mini is amazing.

smittenkittenorig said...

No raisins. No pineapple. This is carrot cake the way the cosmos intended. I love you! :D One of my Bffs gave me her Gram's recipe for carrot cake and we've both lost our copies over time. I'm going to have to share this one with her!