Sunday, March 16, 2008

Blueberry Muffins


This week's recipe. :-) I love muffins and had a real craving for blueberry muffins, so I bought a mix. Bad idea. Too sweet for me and even my husband, who isn't all that picky, said they aren't as good as my recipe. So next time these will be from scratch. It isn't all that hard, but I was too lazy to pick up some frozen blueberries. Usually, I freeze fresh ones in the summer by just putting them on a cookie sheet, unwashed, and then pour them into freezer bags when they are frozen. Then they can be used for pancakes and muffins or just eating, after they are taken out of the freezer and rinsed.
that said... here is my favorite blueberry muffin recipe. These are a tad heavy, and not real sweet, which I like, although I always sprinkle the tops with cinnamon sugar before I bake them.

Blueberry Muffins

400 degree oven
2 c four
3/4 t salt
1/3 c sugar
2 t baking powder

I actually do sift this. Not often do I sift, but it's good for this recipe

beat in a separate bowl
2 eggs
add 4 T melted butter
3/4 c milk

stir in the dry ingredients using a minumum of stirring there will be some lumps, but if you over stir muffin batter, they won't be as light.
stir in gently
1 c blueberries (they can be frozen)
and if you like 1 t grated orange rind (I rarely do)

put into muffin papers in a muffin tin and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar

bake 18- 20 minutes test them to see if they are done by pushing a toothpick into one and taking it out, if there is batter stuck to the toothpick, they aren't done.

hide a few before everyone in the house smells them and tastes them, so you'll have some for yourself!

No comments: