Monday, March 3, 2008

Chicken Soup and Matzoh Balls



I have this good friend, Rosalie. She is on a discussion group that I'm on and we've visited for, I think, about 6 years. Her group name is Foodmaven, if that gives you a clue about what a good cook she is. We had this discussion about chicken soup and she says it is 'Jewish Penicillin', and she adds dill to her soup because that's what makes it great. She also makes her matzoh balls from scratch. No mix for her family! :-)
She has celiac disease, which is basically an allergy to gluten (if I have that right), so she has two versions for her matzoh balls, the second one is gluten free.
They sound great. It makes me want to go visit Rosalie and sit in her kitchen for a chat while enjoying her soup.


FLUFFY MATZOH BALLS

Yield: About 12 large, soft matzoh balls

Ingredients:

  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil (healthy)
  • 1/2 cup seltzer or club soda
  • 1 cup matzoh meal
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1. Mix the eggs well with a fork. Add the oil, soda water, matzoh meal, and salt and pepper and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours.

2. Dip your hands in cold water and make about 10 balls slightly smaller than Ping-Pong balls.

3. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and place the matzoh balls in the water. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until soft. Do not lift cover to check before.

Note: To reduce the cholesterol in this recipe,use 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs.

GLUTEN FREE MATZOH BALLS/w/o wheat

  • 4 eggs
  • 3 olive or canola oil
  • 1 tsp salt or less to taste
  • 1 cup instant potato flakes
  • 1 envelope of chicken bouillon (I use no salt) in 1/4 cup water. Seltzer or club soda will make it lighter. Beat eggs and oil, add salt to potatoes and add to the eggs. Add , mix well and chill for 20-30 minutes. Wet hands and form into balls; drop in simmering soup or just boiling water for 20 minutes)with cover on.

You can experiment and make it with 1/2 ground almonds and 1/2 potato and they turned out ok. Sometimes you have to add a lot more potato and almonds to make it stiffer, so fiddle around with the quantities. also fat free thing, try with just egg whites.


3 comments:

Sixsisters said...

This sounds delicious ! I might try to make them.

nicole said...

Very nice!

thewildhare said...

I sure needed some of this soup during my sick over the last week or so! Let me know if you want to pop over and bring me some by, Sue! :)

This looks pretty easy, I may get up the courage to try when I am feeling better - so I have the process down for next time I am not so good!