Thursday, May 8, 2008

Beads and Spaghetti Sauce




wow I had a three day show in Virginia, about a 6 hour drive away, and no matter how much I paced myself, it still takes days to catch up around the house. This is on the tail of going to Michigan for my daughter's graduation the week before. My goal is to get my suitcase unpacked tonight! and get to the torch again. I missed working with the torch while putting things together for the show. Torch work is my first love in making jewelry. Doing silversmithing is very nice but it takes more tools and set up. Once I get a certain type of project set up, I try to make several more. The studio (my half of the garage) is set up for metal work but there is still the consideration of what gauge metal (get that out) dapping tools (get those out) which type of hammer (get that out) and so on. There is thinking involved with the set up. A step by step run through the project thinking because things need to be done in order when doing metal work. I had fun making all kinds of silver and glass pieces last week and will be back at it this weekend, but the weekday evenings are blending with relaxation and staring at the flame and molten glass.
We ate stuffed shells for dinner last night and here I'll share my spaghetti sauce recipe. It's so much better than commercial sauces and not hard to make at all.

Brown a pound of ground beef
with 1/2 large onion diced

Wash and slice mushrooms and add them. I use about 8 mushrooms

pour in a large can of crushed tomatoes (you can buy the Italian blend if you look around)
lots of times I add a small can of chopped tomatoes

add oregano or Italian seasoning to taste

cook until it's the thickness you like.

See how easy that is??? and there is no added sugar like in the commercial sauces. No reason for all those additives. Just good crushed tomatoes is the trick.

No comments: