Thursday, May 22, 2008

Beads in Asheville





Lots of fun coming up this weekend. Tomorrow I will be in Asheville for a spring 'bead retreat'
Doesn't that sound strange? A bead retreat? But what it is, is a weekend with a bunch of glass artists all using a torch and sharing some tips and tricks. It's so fun to be in Asheville with all the great things to do there, and to be with people who think like I do. (somewhat) Thinking like I do, just means we see the world a bit differently. Is it because an artist has so much time working alone? Or is it because we use the right side of our brain more than the average person? Or sometimes I think that we become artists because it's our way to soothe the world's pressures away. I have no desire to play a sport like basketball or softball, but personal sports are ok with me. However, I don't get up in the morning and think "oh I really want to run, or bike, or play softball, or even watch sports on TV." I do wake up in the middle of the night and early in the morning thinking of new designs and colors and something to 'make'. Now why is that? Something I've wondered about as an art teacher when I see which students excel in art. What drives them?

1 comment:

Jean Levert Hood said...

Susan, being with other artists and working with this is surely a retreat! It's hard work, yet refreshing work. enjoy completely!