Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rhubarb Bars


while I'm getting my act together to do the profile of 'artists named Susan'

I thought I'd share one of my favorite recipes. this one is from a friend, who got it from one of the ladies I taught with years ago. When I was a new teacher in 1975, the lady who had this recipe 'first' was ready to retire. These are tremendous, so if you make them to share, be sure to have a copy of the recipe to share also.

Lou's Rhubarb Bars

in a saucepan

blend
1/4 c water
2 1/2T cornstarch

add:
3 c chopped rhubarb
1 c sugar
a dash of cinnamon
a dash of salt
1 t vanilla
cook until 'sauced'

crust

mix this and put 3/4 of it in the bottom of a 9x14 pan

1 1/2 c oatmeal I use old fashioned
1 2/3 c flour
1 t soda
1 c brown sugar
1 c shortening (I use margarine)
1/2 c chopped nuts

spread the rhubarb sauce on the crust
and sprinkle the remaining crust on top

bake 350 about 35 minutes


mine is in the oven now. We got back to Michigan with rhubarb still growing well in the back yard.

enjoy!

Susan

1 comment:

maryeb said...

Thanks for the recipe. I absolutely love rhubarb!!!
Your blog looks great. I always like reading about other artists.