Sunday, August 10, 2008

view from the back yard


We're back in N Carolina. I took this picture the day before we left. Look at how lush the woods are. There were turkeys in our yard often in Michigan, and since it was time for a few photo archives, I stood on the back deck, zoomed in on the turkeys and shot a picture.
We used to make a skating rink in the back yard and skate a lot. Good exercise for cold weather, and people here in the South, are amazed to think you could ice skate in your back yard! (let alone, ice-fish)
So the turkeys would skate too! They would sit up in trees, which amazed me anyway since they sure don't look like they can fly. They would swoop down to the skating rink and skid across the ice. Just playing. :-)
Unfortunately if they left a little 'gift' behind of turkey poop, my skate would hit the frozen glop and I would fly a bit myself! Shooting across the ice in a tumble that usually resulted in bruises.

Life lesson? Watch out for turkey poop. That has to mean something, doesn't it?

1 comment:

Jean Levert Hood said...

Great shot, Susan! We have turkeys, but I rarely get this kind of close up shot, and here in hot Texas and warm winters, I've never see a turkey skate! love it!