Friday, September 19, 2008

Friday


Teaching a silver metal clay class tomorrow. I use art clay silver to teach with because then I don't have to haul my kiln to the bead shop. We make charms and earrings. It's a lot of fun. It's at Expressive Impressions in Charlotte, which is a shop filled with beads and findings. It's a good place to pick up copper findings and silver too.
During the week, on Tuesday nights, I teach a jewelry making class at Gaston School of the Arts. There are three ladies in it this session. We've made rings and pins and are working on bracelets, all of the projects being done in silver and copper wire. I wish there had been classes like this when I first started working with wire way back in, I don't know, maybe 1995. I couldn't decide what kind of wire to buy, what gauge was best for what, what hardness. I made many mistakes.
Now I know
20 g half hard for earwires
18 g dead soft for wrapping
that's a good start!
And the tools? That was trial and error also. I had no idea you should use tools that don't leave marks in your silver and for goodness sake, how do you get those marks out? I had to learn that too. Luckily my friend Sharon has given me so many bits of information and now there are books. And classes!

These beads today would be such a great addition to a wire worked bracelet! And because the next sale I make is my 100th sale, I will offer this set to any of my faithful blog readers for 1/2 price. Just mention my blog if you do happen to go to my etsy shop and buy it. Sold to Rosebud! Thank you Rosebud you sweetie, you!
:-)

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

100th sales are important. Good luck, Susan!

rosebud101 said...

I bought it!

Jean Levert Hood said...

Oh, I bet it's so fun to take your class, Susan! Lovely beads!