Sunday, October 5, 2008

Grandma's Pumpkin Bread


It's October and it's time for baking and comfort foods. Roasts in the oven, squash, apple things like apple crisp, apple pie; the fall/autumn harvest foods.
Yesterday I made a big pot of chili and even though it's still a beautiful 70 degrees outside, it seems to be a good soup for fall. Did you ever put a bunch of shredded cheddar in your bowl of chili and eat it with nacho chips. So sinfully full of calories.
I also was looking through the cupboards for canned tomatoes for the chili (wishing I had some of those wonderful quart jars of home canned tomatoes) and found a can of organic pumpkin from Trader Joe's. It seemed a good time for a couple loaves of pumpkin bread. This is a family favorite from my Grandmother who was born in 1904 I think, or maybe 1902. It's a moist spicy bread that we always make for Thanksgiving and a favorite of my late brother Daryl. I always think of him fondly when I bake it, and of Grandma too. Good autumn comfort food.
Enjoy!


Pumpkin Bread

4 c sifted flour
1 t soda
2 t cinnamon
4 t baking powder (did you know you can't 'taste' rumford baking powder in foods? so that's all I buy)
2 t salt
1 t nutmeg
mix all these dry ingredients together and set aside

cream together
1/2 c butter
2 c sugar
add
1 c milk
4 eggs
1 16 oz can of pumpkin (if you use organic pumpkin, you might put in 1/2 c less of flour because organic pumpkin in a can is not as soupy as regular canned pumpkin)

add the dry ingredients and 1 c chopped pecans (unless you don't like nuts in your bread)

blend but don't over beat because you shouldn't over beat soft breads

pour in two greased loaf pans
bake 350 degrees 45-55 minutes
I cover it with a loose foil about 10 minutes before it's done so the crust isn't too chewy
Check it with a toothpick to see if it's done. You put the toothpick in and pull it out. If it comes out with batter on it, the bread isn't done yet.

Let me know if you try this recipe and if you like it.
Grandma would smile. :-)

4 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Ummmmmmmm! That looks really yummy! I might have to try it out, Susan. Oh, and I answered your question on my blog.

Lauren said...

I'VE TRIED IT!!!! I guess it's my GREAT-Grandma's pumpkin bread, I always thought it was Grandma's... oh well, I make it every Thanksgiving and even called Grandma last Thanksgiving when I was recipe-less... now that won't happen! Thanks mom <3

Cody and Gina said...

I am so excited to have this recipe!!! I wrote it down and am going to make it this week! Thanks Aunt Sue :)

susanlambert said...

awwwww Big smiles. :-) it's great bread. I had three slices for breakfast! I love carbs.