Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hot Time in the Mountains











It has taken a few days to recover :-) from all the fun I had this past weekend. I was lucky enough to be able to attend a hot glass bead retreat in Asheville, North Carolina. There were 30 lampwork artists there sharing skills, doing demos, and just generally having a great time. We worked in an old fire station in Asheville that is a glass shop called A Touch of Glass. The torches were working from 9 am to 9 pm and there was opportunity to learn many new things.

Here are a couple pictures. In order top to bottom
Top: Jeri Warhaftig of Jeri's beads demos her hollow mandrel that is used to make hollow beads. I learned how to make the coolest beads from this demo! And I bought a copy of her latest book. It has a bunch of beads to make with full instructions. Such a great deal for the price. 20 projects for $25 which is a much better deal than buying one tutorial on Etsy and printing it out yourself, wouldn't you think?
Here is the link to her book http://www.jeribeads.com/pre-order%20page.htm
well worth it!

next: Lissa Judeman working on her teenie tiny flame placing teenie tiny details on her fun and colorful beads.
Thanks Lissa! I learned a lot from her too!

And next:
an example of a ruffled hollow bead made by Jeri in her demo.


And next:
Two ladies that
I really enjoyed spending time with, Cindy Lemmo, and Connie O'Connell. Connie makes some fun and colorful whimsical beads and Cindy does some beeeeutious long thin beads with florals. She now has some new styles that are very nice too. I'm lucky to have beads from Cindy. I just keep taking them out and looking at them. Such eye candy!


It was great! Asheville is great! And now this weekend I'll be doing some practicing of some new techniques. Watch my Etsy shop for some new listings! Maybe I'll get one of my new hollow beads 'ala Jeri' in my shop. :-)

4 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Looks like you had a great time, Susan!

Jeri said...

Susan - I'm glad you had a good time, I did too!! What a lovely venue and nice bunch of beadmakers. Jeri

belvedere beads said...

what a wonderful get-away, it sounds like an amazing creative and exciting time. can't wait to check out the book you recommended.

Jean Levert Hood said...

What a wonderful time it must have been Susan! A workshop/retreat is great for stirring the muse!