Monday, December 22, 2008

The very best sugar cookies to decorate....ever!

ok that's my opinion. But I have tried a lot of recipes and this is the one that never fails. A friend in Houghton Lake.. Carol Chidester.. gave me the recipe and it's been our family favorite for absolutely ages. When someone eats one of these cookies, they ask for the recipe.
Be sure to decorate them for Christmas. And don't forget to make heart cut-outs for Valentines day. (they're an awesome gift)
If you're in a hurry, only cut out Christmas trees, make the frosting green, and shake sprinkles on them. (and the little red cinnamon candy on top) The frosting keeps the cookies soft, but store them in a big airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.
I'll post a picture of some finished ones later.

Can't-Fail Cut-out Cookies

Beat
2 c sugar
1 c real butter

add
1/4 c milk
3 eggs

add
5 c flour
1 t soda
1 t salt
2 t vanilla

Refrigerate dough 3 hours or longer roll out and cut with cookie cutters.
cook 350 degrees 8-12 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet
do not let them get brown

4-6 dozen

Frosting

combine
1 lb powdered sugar
1T vanilla
1/4 c (1/2 stick real butter)
milk enough to make frosting spreadable


ENJOY!!!

2 comments:

rosebud101 said...

I want to try these! They sound absolutely delcious!

Debby said...

Ohhhhhh thanks Sue! (Jason's mom here, don't want to use last names you know!) I am doing my Christmas baking tomorrow and I forgot about Carol's cookies. They are the absolute best in the whole world! That's what I'll be making now. Carol has my email address if you want to get in touch.

Merry Christmas!