Friday, January 9, 2009

Art Criticism


My son Joe got me this totally fun book for Christmas called Art Criticism 101 (you too can be an art critic)
I used to go to museums and copy down 'Artist's statements' because I find them so entirely bulls**t-ish. Like ummmmm "My Art reflects the natural environment in an industrial world, showing the depth of humanity and it's place in the universe" kind of Artistic statements. You can find them everywhere and they are so ambiguous, and so 'not' a real idea. It's something someone writes because they 'have' too and the statement is something the 'deeper' it sounds, the better. But I think artists don't really think that way. We just create because we must. We live and breathe creative works and thoughts and can't get through life without making 'stuff'. Art reflects our inner thoughts and brain. Is it screaming pictures? Maybe you aren't screaming, but you find it amusing or fascinating, the look and the sound. ok now I am probably not making sense, but see, I don't have to make sense. I can just write an artistic statement!

So these art criticisms rather follow the same line of thinking. If you memorize one and use it once, then memorize another--people will think you know what you're talking about. And according to this book, if someone asks you to tell them more, you just remain 'cryptic' .

so let's try it. Look at the pictured beads above, and here is my criticism. ;-) coolness......

The sensuous play of surface overflows the eye with such force that the viewer cannot be detached from the surface.

it works!

8 comments:

rosebud101 said...

That really sounds arty to me, Susan! I like it!

Joanne said...

I agree, sounds like an artist statement. It would be fun to compare it to what you might say in relation to the sentiment "Art reflects our inner thoughts and brain." Interesting technique here!

susanlambert said...

haha Art reflects our inner thoughts and brain... kind of sounds like another artistic statement!
I feel that what one creates is a bit like what one sees in the mirror. It's a piece of our inner self. It reflects subconscious thinking at times. Sort of like when a little kid draws his/her family and you can see the relationships in the family by 'reading' the picture.

It's hard to explain anything about the artistic mind isn't it!?

Jean Levert Hood said...

aaaahhh, the utmost of coolness!!a

Joanne said...

I like that - what one creates a bit like what one sees in the mirror. There's a lot of truth in that statement.

Sharon Driscoll said...

Oh Susan, you are so funny. We've talked about this before. Let's see if I can write one about you. "A modern piece with a incalculable depth of spirit and appropriate flourish of B#%S." And since I know you I --- I know you are laughing your fanny off right now.

susanlambert said...

Absolutely!

Debby said...

I usually just say 'It's purty'!