Tuesday, May 5, 2009

lampwork


It's not a surprise, no doubt, that I am writing about lampwork. I was thinking today of the people I have met through lampworking. I went to my first Gathering (which is an international meeting of lampworkers) in 2003. It was a surprise to see there are so many lampworkers and how amazing their beads are. Yet 6 years later, the skill level of the people who were there has grown way past what it was.
I met people in their 'early years' it seems and they had awesome beads then, and now they are awesomely awesome. :-)
In some old beading magazines from in the 90's there are articles about lampwork and sometimes an artist was featured. The beads in these magazines should give any new lampworker an idea of how practice willl build their skill level. I find that beads that were a huge struggle to make now are 'there' and few beads go into the mistake bucket.
Kind of like that old joke where the guy asks a man on the corner 'how do you get to Carnegie hall?' and the man says 'practice!'
Seeing lampworkers achieve the skill levels they have attained makes me think we need a Carnegie hall for glass work!

and today for your viewing ... a relisting of turquoise beads made with silvered ivory stringer.

1 comment:

Jean Levert Hood said...

I don't know anything about beads, nor lampwork, but I do know that I love these!!