Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Back to School!



Here's where I spend my days. A middle school in North Carolina. The building looks like the High School in 'Happy Days' or 'Grease'. It's well kept with shiny hardwood floors in many rooms, sometimes you see a heat register here or there. Three stories which is good for the cardiovascular system. right? LOL

I teach many eager art students. This is our second day of school today. Our budget has been cut in half and so we'll be doing a bit less on the fancy side this year, but I'm determined to keep those active middle school kids working on learning to draw and work with color and line. Plus all the other disciplines of art like sculpture and textiles. It's a survey type class. The budget cuts are unfortunate, but parents are pitching in with some supplies and that is so awesome.

A student told me today that his old art class in another school had 7 students.!!! I can't imagine what that would be like. The classes are full and some students are disappointed they can't get art this year. One class that will be a challenge this year is a group of 6th graders in a class that is full with 27 students. 23 boys and 4 girls! hmmmmm what to do with that group is a challenge.

Anyway. That's one reason I lampwork. It helps me relax in the evenings and put the stress aside. That's important. Watch for beads on Etsy! There will be more soon and some I just need to take pictures of. With that class full of 6th grade boys, there may be a need for a lot of stress relief!

Have a good school year everyone out there!

1 comment:

rosebud101 said...

Have a great year, Susan!