Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Nostalgic Brownies



When you were a little kid, did you make jiffy mixes? A friend of mine, Nancy, in my hometown of Napoleon Michigan, had an uncle who worked at the jiffy mix factory in Chelsea. They always had a cupboard full of jiffy mixes. It's like playing with an easy bake oven, making those teenie little cakes and cornbread and biscuits. My love of carbs obviously started young. LOL

So when we were in Michigan, I picked up some jiffy mixes to bring home. Doing a search, I see they sell them near my house here so I won't go through withdrawal. Because I made the brownies last night. ooohhh I forgot how good they are. not too gooey, not cakey, just right and just enough for two people for a day or two since you use a bread loaf pan.

Is it nostalgia? I think not. The mixes have been around for ages so it must just be a good product.
When I taught third grade, I would tell parents who had kids with problems following written directions, 'get some jiffy mixes' because hey if the kid ruins it, how much did they lose? Maybe 50 cents? And how motivating is it for a kid to get some warm, out of the oven, treat if they followed directions.
Maybe a few budding chefs came out of those 8 year olds.

2 comments:

rosebud101 said...

I love Jiffy mixes! The corn bread is delcious!

Debby said...

Yum!!!

I loved my Easy Bake Oven. I told the boys that I get to buy the first one for their kids!