Monday, September 28, 2009

Grandma's sausage rolls aka Wursterbroaches

ok here it is. My Grandmother's sausage rolls. I haven't seen these anywhere else except in a German bakery in Florida and those were made with ground pork that wasn't seasoned. So this is probably some old family recipe. I've searched for other versions of this and have not found it anywhere.
You would think they are greasy, but they aren't. I think the secret is the dough. I like them straight from the oven, but really like them cold straight from the refrigerator.
Also don't make the sausage shaped too thick as you want it to cook all the way through. My sister microwaves hers a bit before she wraps them. I make mine thin.
Enjoy! Grandma Ott would be 118 this year if she were still alive. I remember as a kid watching her bake breads and these sausage rolls, flour up to her elbows. And noodles, she would roll thin and hang on string to dry. She sure loved to bake.
enjoy!
I imagine these have sooo many fat calories!


Grandma Ott's Wurster-broaches (Sausage Rolls)

1 1/2 pounds (24 oz) lean, well seasoned pork sausage
2 T shortening (I use butter)
1 t salt
1 egg (well beaten)
1/2 C sugar
1 package dry yeast
1 1/2 C lukewarm water
5 1/2 C flour
melted butter

Proof the yeast with water and sugar. Add shortening and salt and egg. Stir until shortening is melted. Stir in about 4 C flour. Cover and let rise until double.When doubled, add more flour up to 5.5 cups total to make a soft dough. knead lightly Let rise again. . Roll out to 1/3 inch thick on unfloured board.(I flour the board)Shape pork sausages like wieners about the thickness of your thumb or less and about 4 inches long (makes about 18) Enclose each sausage in dough, sealing edges tightly. so it's a long roll with the enclosed sausage. let rise until double. Grandma then brushed them with melted butter but I don't do that. Bake 400 F for 20 minutes. I put foil over them as soon as they are the color I want the bread to be and cook the remainder of the time. turn out of pan and eat warm or cold. Store left over in foil in refrigerator.

3 comments:

Mike said...

Great recipe for Oktoberfest season!

rosebud101 said...

Sounds wonderful!

Debby said...

How lovely. What a tribute to Gran!