Thursday, April 15, 2010

Torch enameling and lampwork

way back..... in the 70's, I began teaching Art. We did a bunch of copper enameling because in the '70's the thought was that art classes should be small. I was so lucky to have groups of 15 middle schoolers at a time, and we did big projects. Batik, acrylic painting on real canvas, were also a couple of the projects. It isn't something I would attempt with over 25 kids. Picture that... one adult 25 kids and pots of dye and hot wax. But we could do that in a small group. I will admit though, I 'have' done tie dye with big groups and it's a pile of fun.
A few left overs from that time in my life, are some copper blanks. It's possible to enamel using a torch, and I have been experimenting with it for a while. Here's one piece that was a success. It's a peace sign that I had in that pile of copper blanks from 'way back when' . How fun to have a 'real' peace sign, even though you can certainly buy a new one, it's kind of 'groovy' (couldn't resist) to have the real thing.
And then it had to have some bright hippie kind of beads to go with it. right?
It sure brings back some memories of bell bottoms, long hair, and of course lots of beads. :-)
click on the picture if you'd like to see it in my Etsy shop.
Peace..................

No comments: