Sunday, December 19, 2010

lampwork station almost ready!



Merry Christmas to me! While this little gecko in my Etsy shop hangs around here, I'll show you what I've been up to. :-)


This is something I have wanted to do for years. On the work area in this picture is the beginnings of a 'Barley box' named after the talented lampworker Michael Barley, who designed this set up. The lampworking torch is set up with this 'structure' around it, with enough space to work, and the ventilation is in the top. Because the space is 'enclosed' the fumes from the process are pulled out of your workroom through the vent that goes outside (which is yet to be added...next week.)
I've tried many types of ventilation and this is what I've had in mind for ages but haven't had the resources actually to have it made. It's hard to find someone with the time and talent to do this. But luckily we have a friend who does work like this. He just insulated our garage walls and ceiling (thank you tax credit!) and drywalled, and painted, and carried the heat and cooling out there with a wall switch to boot. We are calling it the 'Garage-mahal' !! I asked if he could help me with the ventilation. He took a look at the pictures and went at it! He still will vent the box to the outside and line the box with a white metal. We started with a range hood that has 4 halogen lights in it. (woo hoo!) and the strongest fan we could find. Now, this may need to be tweaked. We'll test it to see if it pulls the fumes, the theory being that with it enclosed, and with the large tube that will go to the vent, and the short distance, this should do it. If not... it's easy to add a fan and the lighting and hardware is all there.
ahhh...... It's so exciting! I hope to post soon, a picture of an organized work space, ready to teach private classes in my own studio in metalsmithing and lampworking. Woo Hoo!! step by step it's coming together.