Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Retiring from teaching




Yes indeed. This is what I've been up to. I am ending my career of teaching. It's been good. It's been difficult. It's been a super job with the benefit of having time with my family as the kids grew up. It's time to move on. 35 years in a classroom. Whew!


I'll be doing 'something' else in addition to really being able to focus on glass and metals. Some part time job that could be fun in other ways. Maybe work in a flower shop, or a sporting goods store. A hardware could be fun! Something like that.


But for a few months, I am going to BASK in the glow of not setting my alarm clock for 6 a.m. , dressing in my teacher clothes, correcting papers and dealing with kids who just haven't learned how to respect others.


I will miss, the light that goes off over a child's head when they 'get it'. The kids who show talent in Art as they learn the basics. The kids with fun stories, the ones who do love and respect, the love and hugs, smiles and fun. But that's ok. I can think of it as I sleep in. :-)

3 comments:

Donna S. said...

Congrats, Susan!!!

susanlambert said...

thank you!!!

silver jewellery said...

Dearest Silversmith! I've just completed my first silversmith course and onto the next level, following my Great Grandfather's profession (originally from Birmingham - came to the US in 1880). I simply wanted to know if you could reheat pickle, found your blog and have been thoroughly delighted! I've just begun setting up my workshop at home and wanting to follow my instructor who uses an organic pickle for our class. I'm excited to discuss your findings in my next class. Bless you! Best always, Gwenn from West Hartford, Connecticut