Friday, March 16, 2012

How To Clean Your Silver


Did I ever tell you how to clean silver? This is a snap! Being close to running out of our favorite laundry detergent, I picked some up in the grocery. The new pods for laundry look great. In my opinion, they will be real helpful since we (ahem... my husband) won't use too much laundry soap in each load. These are pre-measured. In trying them out, they are working great and smell wonderful. But then, I thought it's a good idea to take the rest of the powder we have and put it in a storage jar. Why? Because Tide is great for cleaning silver, and before art shows, there are times I use it for getting some nice bright silver pieces back to their shiny state.
I've seen this done with boiling water and baking soda also, but this technique is super easy. Take a plastic container or a glass pan and line it with aluminum foil, shiny side up. Add some Tide. (maybe 1/4 c liquid or powder) Pour hot water over it and dissolve the soap. Then you just put your silver into it. In moments the tarnish is gone. Weird huh? I rinse the silver and wipe it with a soft cloth (or it will feel sticky) and the laundry soap itself... it can be thrown in with a batch of jeans. No yuck in the soapy water. It's on the foil.
Voila! Make yourself a pin that says 'GENIUS' !!
I have also tested this by leaving a chain maille bracelet in the pocket of my jeans and washing them in Tide. hahaha it worked..............but maybe that's not the best technique.

1 comment:

Negi said...

Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

Silver Jewelry Cleaner